Soak lentils for 1 hour (preferably overnight)
Preheat Oven to 425 Degrees
6-7 Red Potatoes Chopped (Peeled or unpeeled)
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil or Earth Balance
1/3 Cup Unsweetened Almond or Cashew nut milk
1 Cloves Garlic
1 tsp dried rosemary (optional)
Himalayan Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Veggie Pie Filling:
1 cup green lentils (soaked)
1 cup yellow spilt peas (soaked)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 vegetable soup cube (organic)
3 tsp poultry seasoning or mix of thyme, sage,
1/2 cup carrots
1/2 cup celery
3/4 cup white mushrooms (chopped)
1 tbsp flaxmeal
2 tbsp olive oil
Himalayan salt and black pepper to taste
1. In a large pot: Boil the chopped potatoes until very soft
2. At the same time boil the lentils and peas until very soft
3. in a saucepan combine oil, garlic, onion, carrots and celery cook until onions are translucent and carrots are mostly cooked.
4. Drain the lentils and add the veggies to the pot. Stir.
5. Add the chopped mushrooms to the lentil mix
6. in a separate bowl combine 1/4 cup hot water, vegetable soup cube and flaxmeal until combined (may need 1/2 cup water but no more) Add the mix to the lentils and stir everything well. Should be the consistency of oatmeal. Add salt and pepper to taste
7. Pour lentils into a pie pan
8. Drain the potatoes and mash with Coconut oil (or Earth Balance) Nut milk, garlic powder and dried rosemary until a thick mashed potato. Add Salt and pepper to taste
9. Smooth mix over the lentils (leave a little space at the top).
10 Bake for approximately 1 hour at 425 Degrees until potatoes are lightly browned and firm to the touch.
For a lighter dish try our Creamy Millet and Cauliflower Mash for the top layer!
The Balanced Palate